Home / 11 Dec 2013 / Updated: Sept 12 2014
VHDX Windows 8 Hyper-V 3.0: Hyper-V (hypervisor) is a virtualization service, and introducing the change old VHD format with the new version under the name VHDX in Disk Management.
Some of the benefits:
1.) - Old Hyper-V VHD only has a capacity up to 2 TB, the VHDX 64 TB.
2) - Protection against data corruption due to power failure.
3) - Better virtual formats alignment on hard disk.
4) - Offers optimum performance on hard drives of large capacity.
1) - In the search box (band right) (or Windows key + R), I introduced diskmgmt.msc command.
2) - In Disk Management appeared, I clicked on Action, in the top menu bar.
3) - Here I clicked on the link Create a Virtual Hard Disk.
- In the new window, I introduced the route for save, and the size of 10 GB, because it proved to be enough, but it can be higher, up to 64 TB.
1) - In the same window, I checked radio button Create Vhdx virtual hard disk.
2) - Finally, I clicked OK.
3) - In Disk Management with black stripe, indicated as unallocated, uninitialized disk.
- To take effect, I restarted the computer. (Vainly clicked on VHDX file saved on drive D:\, appears error message "the disk images not initialized").
1) - In the search box (band right) I introduced diskmgmt.msc command again.
2) - Appeared Disk Manager and immediately, in a separate window, provided the disk initialization.
3) - I did not change anything, just click OK.
- But that's not enough. It should be indicated as volume, and must be formatted as real drive.
1) - In Disk Management, click with the right mouse button, on the black band on virtual disk, and from the pop-up link I chose New Simple Volume ...
2) - Appear three - four windows of information at a time, but I only clicked on Next and then Finish.
3) - Black stripe changed to blue, indicating that it has been selected as a primary partition.
4) - Click on the blue band with the right button of mouse and choose Format link.
5) - A window indicates that all data will be deleted. I ignored because, currently, no data on virtual disk. I clicked OK.
6) - With this done. I close Disk Manager.
Summary: From the above description shows that:
1) - The computer must have at least two partitions (Division disk).
2) - VHDX virtual disk can not be saved to C:\, combined with the installed system.
3) - If you have created a virtual disk VHDX, you must restart the computer to take effect.
4) - Initialization will be offered automatically.
However, it is not enough:
5) - It should be marked as "New Simple Volume".
6) - Be formatted in NTFS format.
Finally, if you open Computer on the Desktop, beside the other will be the "new volume" as a virtual drive, which has the same parameters as any other drive partitioned, with the advantage that if we need it, after saving stored data, simply delete (in this example, from the drive D:\).
For Windows 8 Hyper-V 3.0 virtual disk creation VHDX proceed as follows:
1) - Move the mouse, over the Taskbar (right corner, near the clock). Right menu bar appears. Click on the icon Search with the mouse button on the left.
2) - Enter diskmgmt.msc, then click the link on the left.
3) - Appears Disk Management in the top menu, click on Action. Here on Create VHDX.
4) - Change the settings as shown below. Of course, you can change the size to fit your needs. For setting other routes click Browse ....
5) - By the Browse ..., you can set the path of salvation. Windows Explorer appears. Click the small, down arrow, and select the file VHDx instead of VHD, and then add any name. Finally, click Save. With this we return to the illustration above, where click OK.
6) - Create the image VHDX. Few seconds.
7) - Scroll down to see the new drive virtual, tape still black, indicating that it is a partition "unallocated" uninitialized.
- For changes to take effect, restart the computer. (Click vain VHDX file saved per unit D:\, displays the error message "not initialized").
8) - Move the mouse, over the Taskbar (right corner, near the clock). Right menu bar appears. Click on the icon Search with the mouse button on the left.
9) - Enter diskmgmt.msc, then click the link on the left.
10) - Do not make any changes, click on OK button.
But that's still not enough. It should be noted that volume, and must be formatted as real drivers.
11) - Once initialized, small window disappears and opens the Disk Management window, click in the virtual disk, with black stripe, with the right mouse button, and from the pop-up menu, select New simple volumes ....
- 3-4 window will appear with different information, but click only the Next and then Finish button.
12) - After a while black banda currency is blue, indicating that it has been selected as a primary partition and assign a drive letter.
13) - Click on the blue bar with the right button of mouse, and choose Format.
14) - By default, recommended quick format. Do not change anything. Click Start.
15) - A window indicates that all data will be deleted. Ignored, as not yet contain any data virtual disk. Click OK. When you have finished formatting, as seen in the image, indicating that the disc is Primary Partition ...
Finished. You can close the Disk Manager.
16) - Now, if you click on Computer on the desktop, including hard drives, will be visible and newly created virtual disk.
- There are two ways you can open the virtual drive.
1) - Click, as seen on the image above, on the new volume (J:), with the left mouse button.
2) - Open the file where you saved the virtual disk image (in this example, D:\).
Here we find with the saved name. (in our example: virtual.vhdx). Simply click the disk image file.
Just wrap with your favorite programs, images, videos, etc. Work as a unit like real.
Although you can encrypt with the BitLocker disk utility, built into Windows system, will you insure that no one else gets access to your files, there's no need to encrypt the entire drive, but this file VHDX.
Win for free: Windows 8.1 and 10, includes function «Windows To Go Wizard». Installed on a USB drive, can run anywhere
Dual boot: To run Windows in dual-boot, you can sharing your existing hard disk, or install on a separate partition
Site content, text, tips, descriptions, images, RegTweak.exe program is created to the «webmaster», under the protection of Creative Commons. Total license you can read here: Creative Commons. Copy, distribute, tips, descriptions can be used for personal use only with webmaster permission, and with backlinks display
Careful: The descriptions may contain errors, use at your own risk